Ever had Chinese Orange Chicken? It’s delicious, but sadly not generally clean eating approved—until now! Use this pre-made sauce to add that orange flavor to any perfectly portioned bowl. You can portion it into a muffin pan, freeze, then store frozen sauce portions in a freezer bag for up to 3 months! Just cook up a batch and have it on hand for whenever you need to spice up your next quick meal.
Last night, I had some diced cooked chicken and a bag of stir fry veggies already on hand (making life super easy!). Just had to add this sauce to the stir-fry and I had healthy Chinese dinner ready in just minutes!
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
¾ cup low-sodium organic vegetable broth
½ cup 100% orange juice
2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
1 Tbsp. orange marmalade
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. ground ginger
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
1 Tbsp. cornstarch (preferably GMO-free) +
1 Tbsp. water (combine to make
½ tsp. sesame oil
1. Heat vinegar and sugar in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring
to a gentle boil; gently boil, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until
sugar caramelizes and forms a thick syrup.
2. Add broth, orange juice, soy sauce, marmalade, garlic powder, ginger, and
cayenne pepper (if desired). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low;
gently boil for 15 minutes to reduce sauce.
3. Add cornstarch slurry. Whisk to blend; gently boil for 1 minute, or until
sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
4. Add oil; mix well.
• You’re going to be tempted to skip the first step, but don’t overlook
its importance. Caramelizing the sugar and vinegar together raises the
temperature above the boiling point of the actual sauce. This drives off
the harsher flavor in the vinegar, leaving behind only a pleasant tang
while coaxing out deeper flavors from the sugar, and it makes all the
difference. Otherwise, you end up with a sauce that smells and tastes of
• The sauce above counts as 1/2 yellow container. I added a 1/2 yellow container with brown rice, added 1 red container of chicken, and 1 green container of veggies to make this an 80 Day Obsession Pre-Workout meal!
*Recipe from Fixate on Beachbody on Demand – if you’re interested in more healthy recipes, fill out the form below and I can share with you how to access them!